This Thursday July 24, Martin and Katie O’Malley are hosting the 7th Annual Buy Local Cookout, which celebrates Maryland’s Buy Local Challenge Week, July 19-27, and encourages all Marylanders to eat at least one locally grown, made or harvested product each day. Recipes for the cookout, submitted by teams of Maryland chefs and producers, were selected for their availability of ingredients, geographic representation, maximum use of local ingredients and creativity. Governor O’Malley has supported the Buy Local Challenge throughout his administration and began hosting the cookout during his second year in office. This will be his seventh – and final – year hosting the cookout, which will be held at Government House on Thursday, July 24.
“Katie and I have very much enjoyed hosting the Buy Local Cookout, not only because it’s a delicious event, but because it brings attention to the importance of supporting our family farmers and eating fresh, local food that’s good for you,” said Governor O’Malley. “Buying local also helps us strengthen local economies by creating more jobs and promoting a greener, more sustainable Maryland. This event has been a highlight of my year for seven years.”
Here is one of the recipes to be served at the cookout, courtesy of Bryan Davis of Classic Catering.
Goat Cheese and Silver Queen Corn Cake with Smokey Tomato Ginger Jam
By Bryan Davis, The Classic Catering People
2 ½ Cups Silver Queen Corn (Grand View Farms)
2 Tbsp. Fresh Chives (Grand View Farms)
¾ Cup Flour
¾ Cup Corn Meal (Indian Head Corn Bread Mix- Ellicott City Mill)
¼ Tsp. Cayenne Peppers
1 Tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Butter
8 oz. Goat Cheese (Caprikorn Farms)
3 Large Eggs (Grand View Farms)
Chesapeake Greenhouse Lola Rosa Baby (Batavian Style Lettuce)
• Using a food processor, combine ½ of corn, eggs, milk, and butter (pulse 4 or 5 times until corn is chopped.)
• Add cheese and pulse.
• In large bowl mix flour, cornmeal, and seasonings. Add together until moist. Add remaining corn to butter.
How to Cook, two methods:
• Pan Fry in a skillet with cooking oil. Do not flatten (1/8 cup pour per cake)
• Heat in a muffin tin at 350˚ for 10 minutes until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes (or chill in cooler).
• Pop out cakes and then fry again for extra crispy cakes. Make sure you spray cups with nonstick pam. Spray before dropping batter.
Smokey Tomato Ginger Jam
2# Roma Tomatoes (1/4)
½ Tsp. Koshar Salt
• Lightly smoke tomatoes for 10-15 min. (no longer or they will start to cook). *Smoker- Applewood or Fruitwood works best.
Preparing the Jam
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
1 Shallot, diced
2# Smoked Tomatoes
2 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger
1 Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
½ Teaspoon Koshar Salt
1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
• Teaspoon All Spice
In saucepan, sauté shallots for 1 minute, stir in tomatoes and ginger. Cook low until tomatoes cool down adding water a bit at a time to avoid scorching. It takes about one hour.
Add remaining ingredients and keep jam for up to 1 month in refrigerator.